[Dump] A Babel experiment at funkfeuer.at

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Sun Dec 14 09:40:26 CET 2008

> Unfortunately your talk last summer didn't lead to any practical
> experimentation that I'm aware of.

Let's hope I have an excuse to go to Vienna again, I really enjoyed the
city last time.

> I want to build an as big as possible babel network quite soon and
> I'd like to get your input and perhaps also your help.

That'd be great.

> After discussing babel with other people from funkfeuer I belive
> our main concern is if babel will scale to big networks with
> jumpy metric values - especially if the metric values are distributed
> over a wide range.

If it doesn't, we'll fix it.

> Unfortunately we can't deploy babel on enough routers in our network
> to have one big connected mesh, therefore I plan to connect several
> small babel blobs via tunnels. I think you have a babel network at
> your site too. I suggest that you participate in the experiment by
> setting up some tunnels between your network and funkfeuer.

Agreed.

> There are some other constraints that we have to meet: Most of our
> devices lack any support for IPv6 so for the purpose of the
> experiment we are restricted to some subnet of 10.0.0.0/8 or some
> similiar setup.

Hmm... the current implementation of Babel requires IPv6 in the kernel.
(It does not require global IPv6 addresses, but IPv6 must be compiled into
the kernel.)

> * Make some packages at least for openwrt kamikaze and freifunkfirmware
>   (used on most of our devices) which implement the above

I finally got commit rights into OpenWRT, so expect a fixed Babel package
really soon.

> Perhaps we should take this discussion to some public place...

You're very much welcome on (spam-protected)

                                        Juliusz