[Discuss] Fwd: [OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing the LEDE project

David Hopfmueller (spam-protected)
Mi Mai 4 06:29:28 CEST 2016

Hi all,

FYI: bei OpenWrt tut sich was.

CU,
David

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing the LEDE project
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 18:59:55 +0100
From: Jo-Philipp Wich <(spam-protected)>
To: OpenWrt Development List <(spam-protected)>, OpenWrt
User List <(spam-protected)>

Hi,

we'd like to introduce LEDE, a reboot of the OpenWrt community
.

The project is founded as a spin-off of the OpenWrt project and shares
many of the same goals.

We are building an embedded Linux distribution that makes it easy for
developers, system administrators or other Linux enthusiasts to build
and customize software for embedded devices, especially wireless routers.
  The name 'LEDE' stands for 'Linux Embedded Development Environment'.

Members of the project already include a significant share of the most
active members of the OpenWrt community.
We intend to bring new life to Embedded Linux development by creating a
community with a strong focus on transparency, collaboration and
decentralisation.

LEDE’s stated goals are:

- Building a great embedded Linux distribution with focus on stability
   and functionality.

- Having regular, predictable release cycles coupled with community
   provided device testing feedback.

- Establishing transparent decision processes with broad community
   participation and public meetings.

We decided to create this new project because of long standing issues
that we were unable to fix from within the OpenWrt project/community:

1. Number of active core developers at an all time low, no process for
    getting more new people involved.

2. Unreliable infrastructure, fixes prevented by internal disagreements
    and single points of failure.

3. Lack of communication, transparency and coordination in the OpenWrt
    project, both inside the core team and between the core team and the
    rest of the community.

4. Not enough people with commit access to handle the incoming flow of
    patches, too little attention to testing and regular builds.

5. Lack of focus on stability and documentation.

To address these issues we set up the LEDE project in a different way
compared to OpenWrt:

1. All our communication channels are public, some read-only to
    non-members to maintain a good signal-to-noise ratio.

2. Our decision making process is more open, with an approximate 50/50
    mix of developers and power users with voting rights.

3. Our infrastructure is simplified a lot, to ensure that it creates
    less maintenance work for us.

4. We have made our merge policy more liberal, based on our experience
    with the OpenWrt package github feed.

5. We have a strong focus on automated testing combined with a
    simplified release process

If you're interested in participating or want to learn more about the
project, check out https://www.lede-project.org/.

Sincerely,

Jo-Philipp Wich,
John Crispin,