[Discuss] [hackerspaces] Mesh network specs

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Mi Dez 28 09:37:15 CET 2011

hi Todd!

Are you by any chance at the CCC congress right now? If so, we could meet up and discuss in person.
We at Funkfeuer.at built a very similar setup as you are describing.
We are covering the whole city of Vienna (and way beyond) as well as the 2nd largest city in Austria.
Funkfeuer has been building this network since 2003.

Some comments are inline below. But I guess it takes a bit more discussion and planning than I can answer via the mailing list.
You can contact me offlist for more detailed information  of course.

Kind regards,
Aaron Kaplan
(one of the initial Funkfeuer.at founding folks)

On Dec 26, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Overflo wrote:

> hi todd,
> i am forwarding your email to the discuss list of austrias funkfeuer
> network.
> it actually works very similar to what you are planning.
> there is tons of documentation in their wiki.
>
> as for the hardware you might be interested to translate this page:
> http://wiki.funkfeuer.at/index.php/Hardware
>
> @funkfeuer_discuss: please answer directly to todd he is not a subscriber
> of this list.
>

> best regards from austria
> -flo
>

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 03:33:17 -0600, Todd <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> I am looking to build a mesh network in chicago, The way we are planning
>
>> to do it is, we have an uplink set up in a datacenter downtown with a
>> 100mbit connection, and a place for the antenna on the building that
good :)

>> will go across the street to the 1st hop, which will then have several
>> point to point links to the greater mesh network. So the plan is
you want to transport as much capacity as possible over this first hop
>> primarily to have many meshes, probably about 20, each with ~8 wireless
>> routers, which are connected via point to point bridges. None of this is
>
>> commercial, so we will not be worrying about things like zoning fr the
>> antennas since they will all be on private properties. My question is,
>> does this sound like a good plan, and if so, what specific hardware
>> should be looking to use ?
Yes, good initial plan, the details might still be tricky.
My recommendation: take some time to do proper RF planning!

>>  Please be specific as in technically specific (5ghz 16.5dbi yagi
>> antenna) or list the manufacturer/link to hardware that is being
> suggested.

depends on what you want ;-)