[Discuss] Report of gpl violation (busybox, linux kernel, ...) of OSLiNK Sp. z o.o. in the firmware of osbridge 5GXi

Dieter Hofrichter (spam-protected)
So Apr 20 10:00:58 CEST 2008

OSLiNK Sp. z o.o.
ul. Jana Pawła II 6c
89-604 Chojnice
Poland

Phone:+48 52 396 25 00 and +48 52 395 12 75
Fax: +48 52 396 25 01

Sales E-mail:(spam-protected) <mailto:(spam-protected)>
Skype:osbridge_sales <callto:osbridge_sales>

Support E-mail:(spam-protected) <mailto:(spam-protected)>
Skype: osbridge_support <callto:osbridge_support>

Repair service E-mail: (spam-protected) <mailto:(spam-protected)>

produces a WLAN bridge called OSBRiDGE 5GXi.
The latest firmware version as of April 20th 2008 is version 4.01R, as
binary downloadable from their webpage at
http://www.osbridge.com/download/OSBRiDGE_5XLi_4.01R.zip

This firmware contains busybox:
# busybox
BusyBox v1.01 (2008.04.14-09:29+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
or: [function] [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
utilities into a single executable. Most people will create a
link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
will act like whatever it was invoked as!

Currently defined functions:
[, ash, basename, bunzip2, busybox, bzcat, cat, chmod, cp, cut,
date, df, echo, expr, getty, grep, head, ifconfig, init, insmod,
ip, kill, killall, linuxrc, logger, ls, lsmod, mkdir, mount, ping,
printf, ps, rdate, reboot, rm, rmmod, route, sh, sleep, syslogd,
tail, test, touch, tr, traceroute, udhcpc, uname, uptime, vconfig,
wget

#

and the linux kernel

# uname -a
Linux OSBRiDGE 2.6.22.4 #134 Tue Apr 15 21:44:17 CEST 2008 mips unknown

but the source code to build the firmware is not available as download.
I could not find any copyright notice about GPLanywhere on there webpage.
I asked via email to (spam-protected) for the source code but got the
answer, that the source code is not distributed (see attached email
conversation).

If you need any further information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards from Vienna
Dieter

Forwarded conversation