[Interop-dev] Network Device JSON Schema

Jernej Kos (spam-protected)
Mon Nov 3 09:13:05 CET 2014

Hello!

On 03. 11. 2014 08:56, Nicolás Echániz wrote:
> I have little time because I've recently had a daughter and she is the
> new owner of my time :)  but I can contribute.

Congratulations! :-)

> When discussing LibreMap with André (is he a member of this group?) we
> tried to define the most basic schema for node mapping and make any
> other information optional (through plugins that populate the JSON).

We do something similar with our schema (nodewatcher v3), but our base
is really minimal -- a node is just an UUID. Everything else (including
name and location) is added by modules.

> We then added an aliases attribute that is used to calculate link ends
> on different link types (OLSR, WiFi, BATMAN, etc.)

What you call "aliases" we call "router IDs". Each node should have one
of these per routing protocol.

> Link data can then be reported using these aliases:

This is telemetry/monitoring data.

> So... I'd ask. Do we first want to define a JSON schema for network
> information we want to represent on a map? Or are we planning to
> define a schema for all information regarding our network devices? I
> know some implementations use a map as "navigation" to let the user
> access further information on network devices, but I think it's
> interesting to first focus on information relevant to showing a
> network map.

I believe that this effort is currently focusing on device
configuration, not on reporting telemetry/monitoring data. As I
explained in my previous e-mails these should be two different schemas.

Jernej